The major foreign trading houses were called Hongs, and premier amongst them was Jardine, Matheson and Co., which made its fortune in opium smuggling and then expanded into other forms of businsses when profit margins in the drug trade were squeezed too tight. Its Shanghai headquarters were, of course, on the Bund, just south of the British Consulate. It was known as the Ewo Hong, or Ewo House, after the Cantonese pronunciation of the company's Chinese name. The following picture was probably taken in around 1907.
David Landale was a director of Jardine's between 1920 and 1935 and served as the head of its Shanghai operations. He also served as the chairman of the Shanghai Municipal Council.