The Morriss Estate


The Morriss Family estate, now the Ruijin Guest House, comprised four houses, numerous outbuildings and ornate gardens covering almost an entire city block. The Morriss's were owners of the North China Daily News, the oldest English-language newspaper in China. They were also breeders of racing dogs, and the "Canidrome" (dog racing track) was located just across the street at the rear of the compound. The Morriss's must not have seen the end coming, as Villa 3 features an elaborate three-paneled stained glass window dated 1949.